Late July Garden

Tennessee Cushaw Sweet Potato Squash is called a winter squash since they are harvested in the fall and keep well over the winter.
A few seeds came to me from Tulsa World garden writer Russell Studebaker through his friend Felder Rushing. Russell wanted the heirloom preserved so I grew the plants and distributed them to a few gardeners.
This flower is a male - no fruit attached at the base of the flower - and it had 6 bees in it at the same time. That pollen must be divine food.
The book, Renewing America's Food Traditions, from Chelsea Green Publishers, has a bit of information about it. Click here to read.

I'm becoming a Salvia collector of sorts. A former garden writer for the Muskogee Phoenix, Ronn Smith, gave me my first plants and seeds of Lady In Red.
Then I started looking for perennial Salvias. Betsy Clebsch's book on Salvias is a great resource.
Another friend, Sharon Owen introduced me to her favorite salvia resources and we started ordering plants together. We added pineapple sage to the garden and it just keeps blooming, bringing hummingbirds and pollinators.
I still only have 6 or 8 varieties. The Lady In Red and the Black and Blue Guarantica in the photo are two of my favorites. A master gardener friend, Jan Farris gave me the Black and Blue.
Each plant has its own loving connection.

There is a website called Salvia World (here) where you can read all about them.

Check out Horizon Herbs' site for several possibilities for your garden.

Today I harvested seeds from the perennial sweet pea that the birds planted a few years ago. And, there are still lots of white hollyhock seeds available from my plants.
If you want either of these, send an email to mollyday1@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moldy Tulip Bulbs

Propagate Begonia Stem Cuttings in water - Cane-like Angel Wing Begonia

Create Nesting Areas for Birds and Wildlife